Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Rebooting

Well, I created this blog with the intention of using it, I swear. Maybe this year I will. Rather than the personal journal I've tried (and failed) to update in the past (or updated so obliquely that I cannot tell what I was talking about when I read the entries years later), this is focused on what I am working on, and what I intend to work on. A project log, rather than a diary.

Although I know I won't be able to keep my life out of it entirely, and I do not intend to. Life affects what I work on, and what I don't. I haven't been working on any projects I consider "fun" for quite a while, for various reasons.

I was working on a story, but stalled on that summer before last. The story revolves around death and cemeteries, and I was doing research for it, and then I had a few people near me die and couldn't deal with it for a while (and then I waited until Neil Gaiman's wonderful The Graveyard Book came out, to find out if my story was too similar, which it fortunately is not). I'm starting to work on it again, in my head, figuring out what the core of the story is. I suspect I will start putting some words on paper/screen soon. I also suspect I am not a good enough writer for this right now, but I need to give it a try. (And there's still another one waiting in the wings, with a character that appeared in my playwriting attempts, who belongs in a novel instead. And then there are the plays, of course).

I also have completely set aside sculpture, jewelry, knitting, sewing, and puppets, hoping to be able to get back to them when I've got my house together. Because I bought a house, and that leads to many projects of the mundane variety. Right now, I am painting the kitchen, so that I can put in a counter unit and some shelves (the "under $500 kitchen remodel"). This is necessary, but very very dull. I also am trying to plan landscaping, to figure out my long-term plans for everything, and maybe clean off some cobwebs once in a while. Very, very dull. Yet, also all-consuming.

So anyway, this was just an extremely rambling way to say that I'm going to be trying to update this blog with all the various things I'm working on. Or at least, the ones that don't bore me too much to post them.

No comments: